We had some old track lights in the living room, that I would have loved to replace. However, I wanted a closet and fresh more, so we had a tight budget when it came to replacing tracklight heads. We would need four at ~$20 a pop…. that’s a good 2 gallons of high-quality paint.
I like silver and nickel a lot. About as much as I dislike gold and brass and bronze. Oil-rubbed bronze is ok, but not my most favorite, and certainly not a good fit for my vision for our home.
Cue the spray paint.
Our old lights were a matte off-white color, so thankfully, I didn’t have to sand or prep them much more than wiping them down well.
I primed all the metal with Rustoleum Metal Primer. It dried to a uniform matte, battleship gray. It was a smoothing formula, so it went on very nicely. I only needed one coat.
For the metal paint layer, I used Rustoleum Universal Paint+Primer in Hammered Nickel. The can design was just awful. I had to return the first one, and the girl at the return counter at Home Depot had a whole box of defective ones. I got the hang of getting an even spray by the time I got to these. You have to sweep the can side to side, because it produces a thin vertical fan of paint. Who knows why. But I was very pleased with the end result.
For an hour and some spray paint, I was happy with how the track heads turned out. The paint was even and not so shiny that it looked fake. Considering the track heads were ugly in the first place, I didn’t have a lot to loose, but they exceeded my expectations.